Enabling Closed Captions for Hulu, Netflix and other channelsFollow
You can enable closed captions for Hulu, Netflix and CBS videos so that they will appear when recording streaming videos from these services. You are limited to these services for closed captioning because these are the services that enable you to turn them on by default at an account level or store this setting for future visits. You can't interact with the videos streamed through PlayOn to request closed captioning from the website.
For Hulu, open PlayOn's Hulu channel from your video player, select the last option labeled Playback Options, and then select the "video" named Enable Closed Captions.
An alternative method involves signing-in with your account and entering your account settings on www.hulu.com. Under the Privacy & Settings tab, check the box labeled: Automatically turn on closed captions if available.
For Netflix, to enable captions, please follow these steps:
- Open a browser on your computer, navigate to Netflix.com and log in
- Play a video
- As the video plays enable captions
- Let the video play with captions on for 5-6 minutes and then close your browser
That will become the new playback preference for your account and should carry over to your recordings.
It's not as easy to enable/disable closed captioning for other channels, but we do have a utility you can use for most.
- Download the attached visible.mmt file and move to the C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMall folder (C:\Program Files\MediaMall on 32 bit PCs)
- Stop and Start the PlayOn server via PlayOn Settings
- Record, cast or stream a video from the desired channel
You'll see a 'video player' window pop up on your desktop. This shows the video as it is being processed by PlayOn. Enable captions/subtitles in that window and PlayOn will record or stream with captions/subtitles.