I bought PlayOn a few days ago, and so far I have been very disapointed. Here's why:
1) Off-Peak queue did not trigger last night, did the night before tho. So it's unreliable.
2) No way to remove the "This video has been recorded by ..." screen at the be beginning, or the loading part at the beginning.
3) I wanted to use PlayOn because my connection is slow and metered so it allow me to plan my download better. But PlayOn is too dumb to know when the stream is buffering and just stupidly record the output, not the data stream. Basically it's like video recording your own screen with Screen Recorder software, which a lot are free BTW.
4) The PlayOn server seems to have hard time to start up by itself, I always have to click "start" after starting PlayOn, could be linked to issue #1. Point is that out of the box, it's unreliable.
5) Quality settings are vague. HD, high, medium, low: What about putting resolutions in the drop down instead of subjective terms ? And HD is only 720, now 1080, which seems to confuse a lot of people online when I searched on the topic.
6) Browsing is painful. Not only slow, but also very uninformative.
7) Sounds like most people who use PlayOn expect to do one simple thing: record shows from Netflix or other services. Then we get that bloated software. Basically no one cares about the "free" portion of it. And the useful portion isn't that straight forward.
8) When you Off-Peak queue gets too big, it doesn't scroll so you can't access (re-order or re-queue) the items that are too low in the list.
9) When I installed PlayOn, it added some kind of sound processing driver/device and had it set as the default sound device for Windows 10. Well sure enough my sound completely stopped working until I figure what play on had done to my sound setup. As soon as put my TV back as the default sound device, my sound worked fine again AND PlayOn was still able to record sounds without problem.
So all in all, I can't say that I am impressed.
Hopefully I remained constructive through my feedback so it allow the software to improved as I would love to have a decent stream recorder that allow me to watch legally content that I pay for but that my slow internet connection (remote location) does not allow me to enjoy "live".